The next book that I pick up is Mythological Monologues and it is my first attempt at trying to review a book which belongs to the the world of poetry.
Ramayana and Mahabharata are undoubtedly the two most popular classic epics of our country . The popularity and the awareness about both the subjects is not only high but it spans across centuries. Many famous poets and eminent writers have done a tremendous amount of research before trying to portray subjects related to these subjects. And every time there have been a lot of curiosity and anticipation from the readers or audience to understand the mystical world of mythology. Hence, the very thought of creating an artwork with the help of these characters is not only challenging but also a daunting task. I applause Purba, for attempting to touch upon these subjects and creating a masterpiece through her poetry. Just like the soothing effect of Lord Krishna’s music from the flute, the poetess has elegantly woven twenty-six notes in her composition that can satiate one’s divine quest!
Let us engage in detail to understand better.
- Book Title– Mythological Monologues
- Published by– Self Published on Blogchatter platform during Blogchatter E book Carnival 2020
- Author’s Name– Purba Chakraborty
- About the Author– The author is the author of three novels-walking in the streets of love and Destiny. The Hidden letters, Canvas of a Mind and three poetry books i.e. The Heart listens to No one, Letters from the soul and Mythological Monologues. She has contributed her poems and short stories in more than 10 anthologies and various magazines.
- Title and Cover feel– The Book Cover is the most appealing feature of the book. Anyone will easily fall in love with the look and feel of it and it captivates its readers from the very first glance itself. The peacock feather with the background of a saffron colored glossy satin cloth gives it a feel of a paperback version justifying the essence of the book .
- Narration– The narration is extra ordinary and one can say, it has a fluid like charm to it. The poetic way of description of twenty six mythological characters is truly fascinating and can be enjoyed by both poetry lovers and readers from other genres as well.
- Content-“Mythological Monologues” is a collection of 26 dramatic monologues of epic characters from Ramayana and Mahabharata. The poetess from the very first, possess some questions that might have come into the minds of the famous characters of the Epics i.e. Ramayan & Mahabhrata. This very attempt sets the tone in the mind of the readers and carry them effectively in a journey of knowing and exploring them . Be it Ahalya, kunti, indrajit, Lakshmana,Satyabati or Draupadi and many other characters, the poetess has magically presented their state of mind and has effectively done justice to what each one would have gone through during the course of action in those times . The readers feel connected and are easily captivated into the spiritual world . The recent broadcast of Ramayan and Mahabharata on Doordarshan Channel during the ongoing Lock-down has been popular with even the young generation and Purba’s master-piece is sure to strike a chord with a very large audience base in today’s time .
Some of my favourite excerpts ( random portions of the monologues) from the book are as below:
I looked at Sage Gautam
And then at King Indra
The two men who wronged me
One- in untamed anger
Another- in unquenchable lust
Yet I had to pay the final price,
My fault is that I am a woman.
I was not given a fair chance to fight
As I was too powerful for the enemy.
I- Meghnada don’t have any regrets
I lived like a supreme warrior
I died like a brave patriot;
An ideal son of mighty Ravana
Who loved his family and country
But my Uncle will live like a deceiver.
The endnotes and glossary also help the readers who might not have much knowledge about both the epics by easing the effort in understanding the transcendental composition.
- What I missed? I can only say that I wanted the poems to go on and maybe bring in more related characters. This is only because the poems are more than beautiful in their depiction and answer many hidden questions that come to our minds often while indulging in such tales. I can recommend that this book can be converted into a paperback version , maybe with few pictures in between which will make it more alluring.
- So , I urge my readers to hurry up and grab their copies available on Amazon and make this gem their very own by clicking below link !!