A Personal Experience:
I had an inclination to write since I was young. Words and their magic always drew me towards them. But then life happened and I did not think seriously about writing till Blog chatter happened in my life. I came across this community coincidentally and discovered so many aspects that I never imagined existed. I always imagined that writers sit alone on an island and write whatever they contemplate. This was my mental picture and it always had a very lonely and sad picture in my mind. Hence I could never imagine that I could ever write professionally. It was something that I could not relate to.
Come the year 2019, I discovered something called A2Z challenge and Blog chatter group. I was hesitant at first and participated just for the sake of it. My focus was just to write the designated post and getting in touch with fellow creators had never occurred to me. It took me some time to understand the rules and explore the ways of it. Then came along the EBook carnival, an opportunity to draft your own book, something that I could have never thought was possible. But yet it seemed easy and achievable. Why?
That’s a very tricky question and I would like to highlight in the below-mentioned points as my answer:
1) A well-organized laid out the plan: The most difficult task to see your book getting published is because it seems a herculean task and hence it’s terrifying. But with this particular community, every little detail was laid out and when I saw it on pen and paper with classified tasks along with deadlines, it seemed do-able.
2) The Motivation Factor: Yes, though it seemed achievable, yet the courage of taking the first step may be needed a little push. This is where actual human contact was needed. We were assigned contact points and this helped immensely as well. With any random query we could just run to them and at any point in time they were ready to provide us with a helping hand.
3) You are not alone: The biggest factor that came as a power booster was that I was not alone and there were many others like me taking the challenge. This feeling of belonging to a larger group really helped me push myself to finish the assigned task on time. This also made me realize that the focus is on quality over quantity.
4) Constructive Criticism: Some of us were very first time writers and had absolutely no clue, whereas some were experienced and quite accomplished. So being a part of this melting point was an experience in itself. Exchanging ideas and getting answered to many silly questions I realized that nothing is silly and the positive attitude with which the entire community brings each other up is just amazing. It made me realize that writing is not a lonely affair and the island of imagination had many creators helping each other create quality content. The review program helped each other to look within and take corrective measures before taking the biggest plunge of listing our book on the public platforms for sale. Every aspect of book promotion was also organized and the power of community came to a great relief because it was never possible to do it alone. It was like a finished pottery item being prepared with proper molding by the entire team.
5) Building of relationships that guide you further: After the book publication reached its final stage, I was under the impression that this group would dismantle and we all would retire back to our normal routine life. But I was so wrong. From acquaintances to friendships the relations got stronger and stronger. The bond is so vibrant now that instead of competing against each other we have become like a family now and push each other to do well and participate in various competitions. The spirit is exuberant and it helps each other to break the writer’s block that one may experience during the process.
Not only this, the community also helped us explore inherent talent one could have like some were good at making videos that were also promoted, and later it helped them launch them their own YouTube channel. Some were good at using their voice and hence podcasts were encouraged by the group. So all in all one can say that this power of community is like bringing the best in us and helping us do our best. We again had the opportunity to make our own blogs special by either enrolling in the book review program or by registering in the Blogrolls Programme currently in place with the Blog Chatter Website. Not only this the year’s biggest blogging challenge called the My Friend Alexa Challenge is being organized in October and again all of us will come together to make the best of the opportunity and I am already excited. Yes, excited, and not fearful because I know I have a safety net to fall back. This trust that has been built over the last few months is going to stay forever and we are going to be stranger as a Blogging community.
Hence I can only say that Blogging is a process that is still evolving in India and Blog chatter is leading from the front and helping me immensely as I understand that united we stand & divided we fall. The Power of community is immense and it helps an individual to build his /her own brand and along with all individuals, the community grows stronger. The group of people who have a deep-rooted passion and cheer each other on to keep moving forward are the real change makers.